Hi, I’m Ken

Hi,

My name is Ken and I currently work in the Oil and Gas industry on the “completions” end of well development.  I specialize in tools that allow production companies to isolate zones during hydraulic fracturing.  I currently live in Pennsylvania, but I grew up in New York.  I started working in the Oilfield in Oklahoma about 3 years ago, where producers focus mainly on oil production, and I moved up to Pennsylvania about a year ago, where producers focus mainly on gas production.

I ended up in the oil and gas industry completely blind as to what it actually was, which I think was necessary if I’d have ever even considered pursuing it otherwise.  It gets rough.  But now that I stuck it out I find it fascinating and challenging.  I realize, however, that energy production can’t go on like it is forever.  After all, there’s only so much oil and gas in the ground.  Eventually we’ll need to move on to more sustainable options, and, when we do, I’d like to be at the head of the pack in developing those options.

This course is a requirement for my Energy and Sustainability Policy degree, but it’s the course that I hoped to take when I applied for the program in the first place.  So I am really looking forward to this course.  I plan on starting a business–hopefully sooner than later–having something to do with sustainable energy production or solutions, and I’m confident this course will give me a little direction in terms of what kind of business I would be passionate about enough to pursue.

I have never started a full-fledged business.  I’ve flirted with the idea, going so far as to flesh out ideas and business plans, but I’ve never pulled the trigger on anything.  I regret this, and this won’t be the case for long.  I think the biggest obstacle I’ve faced in terms of pulling the trigger is passion–I don’t think any of the ideas I’ve pursued would have kept me motivated enough to make them a success.  At least that’s what I tell myself.  But sustainable energy is something I can get behind, and it’s a subject that always fires me up.  I want to help power the future.

That said, I hope to learn a lot from others in this course.  I love other perspectives on the energy business.  Hopefully my perspective will help others as well.

All the best!

Ken

2 thoughts on “Hi, I’m Ken

1. Hi Ken! I think we have had another course together although I’m terrible with names so I wouldn’t swear to it. Like you, I work in the oil and gas industry and while it gets a bad rep sometimes, I do love the industry. I think with your knowledge of the industry and passion toward renewable energy, you are in a great position to start your own business once you find that one thing that truly sparks your interest. I wish you all the best!

Jennifer