Introduction – Jennifer Bechtel

My name is Jennifer Bechtel and I am working towards my BA-ESP (Energy and Sustainability Policy). I still have a way to go given the few classes that I can take at any one time because of a full-time job and full-time mom duties for a very busy pre-teen who is also a competitive gymnast. I live just South of Denver, CO although I grew up on the East Coast and spent my formative years in Philadelphia. I call Philadelphia my “home town” but was born in Virginia and spent time on all three coasts. I admit that it is a bit strange being land-locked although it is beautiful out here and possibly the best place to get through a winter season since snow does not hang around long.

I have worked in the upstream oil & gas business for more than 10 years now in a variety of positions. Currently, my position is that of a lead drilling tech for a large, independent oil and gas exploration and production company based in Houston with offices here in Denver. I began my career in oil and gas when a former colleague identified me as someone who possessed a great skill set to work in the regulatory field and gave me a position as a senior regulatory analyst. In that position, I handled all regulatory affairs for the Rocky Mountain division of another oil and gas company and found I had a talent for working together with federal and state agencies toward a mutually beneficial goal. I do not know yet where this degree will take me but I am leaving myself open for possibilities.

My interest in this course is primarily to satisfy my core requirements. However, I have always wanted to find my own niche and am intrigued by wealth of entrepreneurship opportunities in the energy field.

2 thoughts on “Introduction – Jennifer Bechtel

1. http://engr312.dutton.psu.edu/2014/08/29/pat-mcmahon-lesson-1-getting-to-know-you/#comment-160

Hi Jennifer,
    From your description of your job, it sounds like the ESP major was meant for you. I believe you’ll find this major as interesting as I do, given that you can directly apply what you learn to a position that you already have. It certainly does sound like you have a busy life, but keep plugging away, the courses just keep getting more interesting. Regards, Pat.