Energy Efficient Buildings

There are so many policies the government could promote energy efficiency, where to start…I think that one policy that would have a large impact would be policies that have to do with construction of new buildings. For example, in certain (colder) states, there should be a policy that all new buildings have to be constructed with fiberglass window frames for better insulation. I even believe that in states that receive 200+ sun days a year should have a policy that all new buildings automatically have solar panels installed. By installing the solar panels at the time of construction, it makes it cheaper than adding them on later and will produce energy for that building. Other things to consider for building construction is also the direction the building is facing and the amount of foliage around the building. I think that having policies regarding building construction would be great to promote energy efficiency.

The business I would develop would be an environmental consulting firm. My consulting firm would be help to help in the planning and implementation of all environmental aspects of the building. Help pick out and order the correct window frames, work with PV companies (and hopefully get a little discount by using them) for solar panels. Help in the design of the building so that it is energy efficient as possible. This consulting firm would be really involved in the construction of new buildings to make sure that all governmental policies relating to new buildings are met.

2 thoughts on “Energy Efficient Buildings

1. I love the idea of implementing new construction standards and I think it would serve communities so much! There would be new job creation as demand for these types of goods would go up, which also serves to lower the cost for those seeking to make upgrades or renovations. The government’s city building out here had some updates made to make them net-zero and I believe the cost was in to the several millions, this was done maybe 20 years after the building had already been overhauled for the passing of new safety and earthquake standards. I imagine the cost of brand new would actually be around the same, only it would be the one time vs. upgrade now, upgrade 20 years from now, upgrade again 20 years from then…etc.

I see this as being a tremendous help to locales that are currently growing, however I’m not so sure how feasible it would be for large cities where most of the infrastructure has existed for multiple generations. That’s definitely something to think about.