Lesson 11: Bethany Steiner

What will be the effect of greater decentralization of power generation?
Greater decentralization of power generation would provide many benefits. These benefits include, “improved efficiency of the distribution system, reduced strain on the grid during peak demand periods, providing back-up generation to improve system reliability, offsetting costs of new or upgraded transmission and generation assets, reducing environmental impacts of power generation, decreasing the vulnerability of the civilian grid to disruption and attack, and as a resource for the defensive and offensive operations of the U.S. military” (Ebinger & Banks, 2013).

What new businesses will evolve in this changing landscape?
I believe renewable energy businesses will evolve in this changing landscape. I think people may begin wanting solar panels or small wind turbines for their own energy needs. This way, in the long run the resident would save money since they won’t have an electricity bill. Some of these residents could even sell some of their power to utility companies. Additionally, other renewable alternatives could be made to enhance the way we can generate electricity today.

What businesses can you see yourself creating to serve this market?
I never really had a desire to have my own business in the energy field. However, if I had to I would be involved in the solar panel industry. I would like to install solar panels or work at a solar farm. I think this would be very interesting.

Works Cited
Ebinger, C. K., & Banks, J. P. (2013, November 8). The Electricity Revolution. Retrieved November 12, 2014, from Brookings website: http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2013/11/06-electricity-revolution-ebinger-banks

2 thoughts on “Lesson 11: Bethany Steiner

1. I really like the idea of reducing the vulnerability of the civilian grid. I think, to me, that is the most appealing part of decentralized energy. The fact of the matter is, we’re very dependent on energy and having it so centralized is just asking for trouble. Even a regional power outage can be devastating–just ask anyone who’s dealt with rolling blackouts!

2. Hi Bethany,

We had a similar view of this assignment. Of the benefits you mentioned, I am most persuaded by the improved efficiency of decentralized energy. There is likelihood that it could cut transmission (or grid) losses of between 5% and 10%, cutting the associated GHG emissions as well. Here is a link to my blog should you be interested.

http://engr312.dutton.psu.edu/2014/11/12/lesson-11-a-niche-created-from-decentralized-power-generation-rob-fulton/

Best,
    Rob