Lesson 1 – Mark Mulhollem

Hi my name is Mark Mulhollem and I am an ESP major. I live in central New Jersey but I grew up in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania. I love the outdoors and spend a lot of time in the Pocono Mountains. My father’s family is from Altoona, Pa where we have a long history in the coal industry. I presently work for a large pharmaceutical company as an electrical coordinator. I hold an electrical license and own my own business. When I graduate this spring I plan on doing some consulting in the electrical power, distribution and renewable energy field. A long with consulting, I hope to write sustainable policies for the government and legislators. I look forward to this course. I hope to sharpen my skills that will help me make my future endeavors come true.

I have had a few businesses over the years and still own two. The first business I was a partner in was when I was in college back in the 80’s. While attending PSU in Scranton I sold ultralight airplanes and gave training lessons. I was 22 years old and went into business with my best friend, Tim. The name of the company was Adler Aviation. Adler means eagle in German. We flew and taught on of Tim’s father’s farm in Tafton. We made a grass runway on top of a hill and put up a hanger for the airplanes. Our office was a 40’ long tractor trailer, “the trailer part”, we got for free. We didn’t make any money but we got to fly a lot. It was a lot of fun. We also got to meet some nice people like Mario Andritti, the race car driver. Back then you didn’t need a pilot license to fly an ultralight. We could fold it up and put in on the roof of a truck and transport it anywhere. We even put it on our truck and drove it to Florida to fly at the Sun n Fun air show. I learned a lot about being in business but didn’t make a lot of money. I mention this so that the younger students can see that even if you don’t become a huge success you can still take something away from the experience.

In the future I would like to expand my present business and implement a metering service that provides people with real time knowledge of what their electrical usage is in their homes. I would like to give people the exact price they are paying for every appliance they use. Then give them advice on how to reduce their consumption and their monthly bills.

2 thoughts on “Lesson 1 – Mark Mulhollem

1. Hi Mark. I graduated from Altoona HS (many moons ago) and lived in Tipton until 1980. I still have family in Bellwood. Small world. You are quite the entrepreneur! Loved your post.

2. Mark,

I really like that you included your ultralight story, it sounds like it was a fun way to spend your time, especially ‘work’ time! Is the device you want to implement as a metering service similar to the ‘kill-a-watt’ device?

– Marielle