Decentralization of Power & Business Opportunities

• What will be the effect of greater decentralization of power generation?

There will be many effects. One will be increased efficiency. Right now, power must travel from centralized facilities which results in the need for extensive infrastructure. It will also lead to greater flexibility; individuals and organizations will be able to choose between different methods of energy generation depending on their needs at the time.  Finally, it will lead to more competition between energy providers.  Those who intend to provide energy to others will have to offer competitive prices and services.

• What new businesses will evolve in this changing landscape?

Numerous new businesses will arise.  One new business opportunity will be the installation of alterative power sources.  Another will be the manufacture of these sources.  Still another could be independent providers of electricity.  There will also be maintenance required for decentralized power sources.  All of these represent opportunities for those who want to start a business as an industry is born.

• What business can you see yourself creating to serve this market?

If I were to create a business to serve this market it would be planning and installation of alternative power sources for businesses and residences. This seems like the most long-term prospect. If alternative power options become convenient or ubiquitous enough, providers of power will suffer. Maintenance may become less and less necessary as systems are refined.  Manufacturers will have to cope with obsolescence and continue to innovate to stay ahead. However, in installation, new training procedures would be the main issue, and there will undoubtedly be customers who prefer to have a professional install their equipment, no matter how easy it is.

One thought on “Decentralization of Power & Business Opportunities

1. I actually hadn’t thought of alternative energy sources when discussing my thoughts on decentralizing so I’m glad to see you mention it. I definitely agree with an increase in competition we would experience better service and reduced rates though I question what rate electricity can ultimately come down to while still keeping a company and their infrastructure afloat. It’s a personal conflict of mine because I’m still trying to figure out where I stand on assessing fees to RE users who are tied to the grid. Good post, thank you for sharing.
    Danielle DeBoer